Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I have been married for 6 years now, stay at home with my two wonderful boys (2 1/2 and 5 mo). I also watch 5 other children in their home part time. I cloth diaper both of my boys, using hand knit, by me, wool covers and prefolds. I try and make a lot of our food from scratch and hopelessly fail at keeping house, but I try.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tuesdays are for Flying. . . on Wednesdays?

I thought I should start by explaining why my Flying post hasn't made it until today. I had it all typed up and ready to go on Monday. All I had to do on Tuesday was add some links and move on with my day! That's what I should have done. Instead I went link crazy. Then decided to add pictures. That was all fine and dandy, except when I realized it takes way too long to add pictures after you've written the blog. Maybe I just did it the hard way. Oh well. After taking too long, I wound up scrapping the whole thing and starting from scratch. Beginning with pictures. I don't know what I did, but I"m sure I did it, and the screen just went berserk! So I shut off the computer with the wild thought (VIRUS!!!) raging through my brain [the last one I had brought a dirty website up on the page while my son was in the room!]. Long story short, I decided to just wait until today!
Here are shoes I decided to start with last week for my 'dressed to the (dagnabit) shoes'. They are comfy, I don't mind wearing them in public and easy to put on but don't make me feel trapped and claustrophobic in my own house. However, they don't lace up, don't provide any support and aren't 'good' for me. Well, when I have $50 to spend on a pair of shoes that are 'good' for me, then I"ll do it. That'll likely be when I don't have any little boys growing out of shoes on a monthly basis (Gee!!). He actually grew out of one pair with in two days, yes TWO DAYS of bringing them home from the store. NO JOKE! So for my goal of getting dressed to the shoes I did fairly well. I didn't fix my hair or do my make up, but I did put on (blasted) shoes. Almost every day. In my book, weekends don't count. (Today I'm sticking to comfy socks bcs I can. Wanna fight about it?) This week, I"m adding my hair to this monthly routine.
Here I used fancy little tool (actually two little tools, but thankfully they come as a set) to put my hair up in a fun little bun. I also like to make two buns that are close together and make a diagonal line down the back of my hair. I"ll show a pic the next time I think about it, maybe later this week I"ll do it. Anyway, other stylish options for fixing long hair is the french twist (actually medium hair is better, mine's too long/thick), and the french braid. Why is everything French?
See? Don't I look purdy? Ok enough country bumpkin stuff! I do feel more ready for the day with my hair brushed and put up out of my face in a style better than one of those half done pony tails I normally do. The only thing is that the tools in it aren't very comfy when you want to lay your head back. You can feel them when you lay back. Grr. But we're supposed to be up and moving around right? Doing things like . . . .


. . . shining the sink! This was fly baby set number 1. And the only one I did last week. It started on Saturday while I had the hubs around to make sure the boys weren't killing themselves. I made a homemade cleaning scrub found on Hillbilly Housewife's site. Then I scrubbed it clean. And wiped it clean with a towel. You can find FlyLady's instructions here, but I didn't see the need for bleach since I don't worry about stains in my stainless steel sink. I kept it really clean until Monday night. The only thing that prevented it then was the dishwasher was running. I suppose I could have done them by hand, but I was super worn out with a sick baby and over active three yr old. Not sure I plan on adding hand washing dishes to my routine since we put in a dishwasher (the house didn't have one when we bought it) and then lost at least an eighth of my kitchen storage for it. Yes, the kitchen is really that small. If I had just been willing to think outside the box a little at that point I probably would never have wanted one. Either way first thing in the morning I unloaded and loaded the washer and called it finished!Monday's mission from FlyLady was to scrub the counters, side to side and top to bottom and get them clean!!! Move things around and do it! So I did it. Using the same cleaning scrub I had made the other day for the sink I first sprayed the counter with a vinegar/water mix (what I always wash appropriate surfaces with) before sprinkling with this magic pixie dust. I let it sit for a few minutes and then scoured, lightly. It worked wonderfully! Above you can see where I decided to snap a pic of the purple PERMANENT marker than had bled through onto the counter a few days before. I begrudgingly looked at that taunting mark thinking it would never come up. I almost gave up. Then I decided to make a past using the vinegar/water and pixie dust and let it set for 15 minutes. It all but disappeared. Only the faintest of marks (I can't even find it today!) was left behind after a little elbow grease was added. I think even that would be gone had I left it for 20 minutes instead.

Tuesdays mission was also accomplished though I didn't take a picture of that one, and frankly I"m just not in the mood for another 'photo shoot' at the moment :-P. Anyway the mission was to organize and toss out any tupperware you had. Well, I have the bare bones and no extra lids or melted pieces (actually I do, but those are called 'baby entertainment devices' and kept in the 'baby entertainment device cupboard' for days when mommy needs to be busy in the kitchen). So instead of that I did appliances. I didn't really have any to get rid of so I put the little used things downstairs in the basement (ok, left them for hubs to do, but I might do that today bcs I forgot to ask him to!) and added some organization to what was left. I also moved the plastic kids dishes to the bottom cupboard (now that there was room) so that Dizzy can help me unload the washer as well as load it!

That's all for now folks! Stay Sheepish ;)

2 comments: