Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I have been married for 6 years now, stay at home with my two wonderful boys (2 1/2 and 5 mo). I also watch 5 other children in their home part time. I cloth diaper both of my boys, using hand knit, by me, wool covers and prefolds. I try and make a lot of our food from scratch and hopelessly fail at keeping house, but I try.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Maintaining Flight

So this week I am simply maintaining the goals I"ve achieved so far. This was INCREDIBLY hard the last two days. Without enough warning (I did have some, just not a set time) the Hubs decided to refinish the floor in the kitchen (AGAIN!!!) and moved the stove and refrigerator. It needed to be done. However that meant the 6 yrs worth of crap sitting on top of the fridge was then placed on my counters. Filthy dusty and all. Crap. It meant I couldn't boil water to put in my french press. . . no coffee. Double Crap. You add that into my waking up Saturday going full force with my day with HORRIBLE TIME MANAGEMENT and you get a disaster.

I knew when I woke up that the Hubs would be starting on the floor as soon as he got home from bible study. I knew Dizzy really wanted cupcakes. Well, I had to clean the kitchen (it wasn't bad, actually, just putting CLEAN dishes away and clearing the counters) before doing anything else. I also knew I needed to get diaper laundry started.

I got dressed to the shoes (and yeah, I really did feel like doing more!) even though it was a Saturday. I fixed my hair. I emptied the dishwasher and put away the dishes I hand washed the night before. I cleared the counters and wiped them down, guzzling coffee as I went (At this point I didn't actually make the connection that I wouldn't have my stove for at least 24 hours). Then I started the cupcakes, cleaning as I went. I really should not multitask in the kitchen, I added 1/2 stick too much butter =( There was 5 minutes left on the timer (actually turned to be more like 10) when the Hubs came home. That's when I realized I had 1/2 an hour to get Dizzy to 'sign' a card, get both kids dressed, wrap a present, take a shower and get dressed (again) before running out the door to a bday party. With the Hubs' help I got it all, except my so wanted shower. I was gone all day, and came home to finally make the connection that we were loosing an hour of sleep!

We also came home with a new bed, since The Hubs' parents were getting rid of theirs in exchange for a tempurpedic (the kind that moves up and down). So I needed to make room in our room for it to be put together. We wont discuss the horrors found under our bed or the disaster that room is still in. When was I going to get to work on my kitchen that I put so much effort into last week? After church, running into town for pizza, cleaning our room (w/ help!) and getting the bed put together I 'cleared' the counters in the kitchen and went to go lay down on our new bed. I didn't get a nap. I got up and made frosting for the dried out cupcakes to share at our evening bible study. Then in a desperate attempt to find peace, went to a neighbors before the evening services. Her house is just clean enough to relax in, but never so clean I feel guilty about my own =)

However, Monday with some quite distracted kitchen work I did 15:5 minute intervals. 15 minutes cleaning, 5 attending to kids, getting a drink etc, repeat. I even cleaned the stove top. The burners are still soaking in hot HOT water and dish detergent, awaiting one of those steel scouring thingies. . . and somebody else to scrub them (yeah, in my dreams). I even managed to do the daily mission, decluttering in the bathroom for 15 minutes (minus 3 min since Gee couldn't face life another second w/out his nap). I still have to finish the other half of that daily mission and work on a hot spot on my desk (that would be my home office) for 5 minutes, but it's still only 1:00pm on Monday. And I don't have any kids coming over today. . . GO ME!

2 comments: