Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I have been married for 6 years now, stay at home with my two wonderful boys (2 1/2 and 5 mo). I also watch 5 other children in their home part time. I cloth diaper both of my boys, using hand knit, by me, wool covers and prefolds. I try and make a lot of our food from scratch and hopelessly fail at keeping house, but I try.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Baby Step Day 5. Telling Those Voices to Shut Up!

"You're not good enough" "You can't do it right, so why bother" "You can't do anything right" "You grew up in a dirty house, what makes you think you deserve a clean one" "Don't invite them over, they'll hate you for how dirty that house is!" "They'll be afraid to eat anything you bring to potlucks if they saw your kitchen!" "FAILURE" "The Hubs will hate you for the condition of this house!" "You make him (The Hubs) sick" "If you can't get it together, clean up the dang house once in awhile, he'll leave you" "If the right people saw your house on it's worst days they'd take the kids away from you" "You're not good enough and you never will be"

Ok, there's Step 5 Part 1 I wrote them down. Not all of them. I could go on for days, however, I"ll stop there. I also cleaned those voices up quite a bit for sensitive ears. . . they get pretty vulgar.

Here is my positive. To save time, bcs a mommy of two needs to, I copied and pasted from www.biblegateway.com My thoughts are added in pink ;)

Step 5 Part 2, Shut them up:

Psalm 139 (New American Standard Bible)

Psalm 139

God's Omnipresence and Omniscience.
For the choir director. A Psalm of David.
1O LORD, You have searched me and known me. (I don't even know me that well)
2You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
You understand my thought from afar. (no matter how far I crawl away from you)
3You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
4Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O LORD, You know it all. (you hear these nasty voices before I do, and you know they come from deep inside me, they are not from You)
5You have enclosed me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me. (you will never let me go)
6Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain to it. (who COULD grasp that thought!?)
7Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence? (You are everywhere)
8If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. (I believe Sheol is hell, could be wrong, the NIV says 'the darkest depths if my memory is right; So God, the God of light and purity can find me in the deepest and darkest depths there are)
9If I take the wings of the dawn,
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
10Even there Your hand will lead me,
And Your right hand will lay hold of me. (looking back I can see that you've never let go of me, even in my darkest times, you have led me)
11If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me,
And the light around me will be night,"
12Even the darkness is not dark to You,
And the night is as bright as the day
Darkness and light are alike to You.
(OK, here comes the hard part. Read the WORD of GOD carefully here)
13For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb. (Can a perfect God make a worthless failure? If He didn't make me a failure then what am I? )
14I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; (by a God that does not create failures, a perfect God who does not fail, who can not make a mistake)
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well. (I am His work, His creation. That means I am wonderful. Calling myself a failure is a sin. That's like calling HIS creation a failure, and a perfect God can not fail)
15My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
16Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them. (before the world began God knew who I would be right now, in 2011, He knew what I would do wrong and what I would do right, He knew where I would allow myself to fail. He also knew how long I would live, because HE ordained it.)
17How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How vast is the sum of them! (isnt' this what I should be focusing on? His precious thoughts about me?)
18If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand
When I awake, I am still with You.
19O that You would slay the wicked, O God;
Depart from me, therefore, men of bloodshed.
20For they speak against You wickedly,
And Your enemies take Your name in vain.
21Do I not hate those who hate You, O LORD?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22I hate them with the utmost hatred;
They have become my enemies.
23Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
24And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.

The end of this passage demonstrates David's love for God. We can not love God and the sin in the world ~*Super important here*~ This doesn't mean we are to HATE sinners, just the sin! If you hate any person, you DO NOT LOVE GOD.

So what does this all mean? It's a sin to hate myself. Probably the one I struggle with most. I"m not perfect and I never will be. However, I was created in HIS image (check out Genesis!) by HIM. He could easily have chosen to not create me. He could have looked into my future and said "She wont amount to much, just be a little homemaker (and not a good one at that) and have a few kids (that she doesn't parent very well)" and decided the world would be better off with out me. But He didn't. (His thoughts of me are precious!!!) Why? Because he has plans for my life. Because I am not a failure, because I am not worthless. Because He WANTED TO.

So what do I need to do with all this information? I just need to pick up where I am and start over with this housecleaning thing. I need to keep truckin' with FlyLady. I need to keep shining my sink, getting dressed to the shoes, reading FlyLady posts, doing zone work and THINKING POSITIVE. I don't' have to go so far as to become conceited for start to think my stuff don't stink. . . I just need to remember that I am not a worthless lump of flesh. My husband loves me, my kids love me (even when Dizzy says "no, I love pancakes!") and need me. I will get up and make this house a home. It may never get to be 'sparkling clean' but it will look nice. It will not be an embarrassment when the Hoover Salesman busts his way through my door and shows me the uses for a vacuum in a carpet-less house (you should have seen the horror on my face when he showed me what filth lay on my ceiling fan. . . .I had no idea you were supposed to clean that!). My house will be a safe place for my boys to bring their friends over. I will have cookies to serve and crafts to make (or whatever it is that big boys like to do!) My house will be a home.

I am good enough to clean house, raise children and be loved by The Hubs. If I do it wrong the first time I am good enough to try it again, and keep trying until I get it right. No one will be angry at my failure. The house I grew up in is a motivation to keep my own clean, I can break the dirty house cycle. A true friend will love me no matter what my house looks like. People rave about my cakes and love my food. I AM NOT A FAILURE. The Hubs has reassured me there is nothing that would make him leave me, or hate me. He's proven this time and time again. My house is not a danger to my kids, my self hatred is. I am good enough because God made me good enough. HE does not make failures. He does not make mistakes. People allow themselves to be failures. I will not fail. I WILL FLY FREE.

Last week we were in Zone 3 the bathroom and extra room. The extra room was Office. My bathroom is sparkling and the kids I sit for were very impressed with my 'office', aka the desk in the dining room ;)

This week we are in Zone 4 (see above link) which is the Master Bedroom, Thank you Dear Lord God! This will probably be the hugest blessing to The Hubs, and in turn to myself ;) My habit this week is Day 6: clearing hot spots. So here goes. My hot spot that I"m going to deal with is the one that's created a forest fire along the wall in my bedroom. It's gotten so there is only the smallest of paths through our room. Especially now that we have a new queen bed. I am also going to try and get up early everyday to crack open my bible and go for a walk before everyone else gets up. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays one of my 3 bff's gives me a wake up call to get up and go. . . so those days should be no brainers, it's Tuesday and Thursday I'm worried about. The weekends will be my days off ;)

If you ever want to email me on FlyLady related stuff my address is:
"iwillflyfree @ gmail dot com"

As always I'll report back on Tuesday ;)

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! I am working on a list of blogs about FlyLady. I'd love to have your blog on there too! In case you're interested, you can find the list here:

    Add your blog by clicking here!

    Simply hit the 'Add your link' button at the end of the post and follow the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'm only on day 3 of the baby steps, but I love that you've integrated scripture in with it. That psalm is a wonderful reminder of who we are to God - and how we should think of ourselves in light of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maaike, I totally missed the 'add your link' instructions the first time!! I"ll have to go do that. . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selina, I would have felt ashamed of myself for not including that scripture. It's the first passage I ever memorized bcs I chose too rather than part of some program or group thing. However, my attempts at typing it from memory failed so I guess I need to start using it again!

    Take your steps as slowly as you need to!! I always tell people the first time I did them all in about a week. . . and didn't learn anything, build them as habits and just failed. The second and third time I went at the suggested rate. . . one habit/step a day. Still too fast for me. Works for some, but not for me!!

    So I like to take at least a week on each one to really 'seal the deal'. Of course, some like this one, don't really take a week, but I just maintain and continue sealing them in! And looking at things from a biblical perspective really helped me. . . Keeping my house tidy and organized is one way to keep my family happy and healthy which is what I feel to be part of my God given job ;)

    ReplyDelete