Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I have been married for 6 years now, stay at home with my two wonderful boys (2 1/2 and 5 mo). I also watch 5 other children in their home part time. I cloth diaper both of my boys, using hand knit, by me, wool covers and prefolds. I try and make a lot of our food from scratch and hopelessly fail at keeping house, but I try.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Two recipes to get some calories into a scrawny toddler :)

Long story short: Bought bacon that didn't make into the house. 7 hours after sitting in the trunk of my car, it's now in the trash (had it been winter I would have saved that pack of $3 bacon!) and I had to come up with something fast and kid friendly to make for dinner.

Thus the nut butter and yogurt sandwich was invented! Dizzy needs extra calories, is allergic to pb and will eat a sandwich, provided it's on a tortilla instead of bread. I don't like putting such a high-sugar filling in his sandwiches so replacing the jelly with blueberry yogurt was a splendid idea. . . I hope. He's eating it now . . . I hope ;)

Kid Friendly Nut Butter and blueberry sandwich:
(serves one toddler)
1/2 a tortilla
1 tbl nut butter (we like home made almond butter, recipe to follow)
1 tbl blueberry yogurt (even better: add smashed blueberries to plain/greek yogurt for less added sugar)

I think we all know what to do here, but just in case: spread the butter and yogurt on your tortilla half, and fold. Cut into triangles, and put more yogurt on the side for dipping ;)

Nut Butter:

1 cup nuts (toasted/roasted gives extra flavor
Pinch of salt
1tbl oil

Process nuts and salt until almost fine in food processor. Add oil, process further until desired consistency. For crunchy effect add a handfull of chopped nuts at end. Refridgerate!

No comments:

Post a Comment