Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I have been married for 6 years now, stay at home with my two wonderful boys (2 1/2 and 5 mo). I also watch 5 other children in their home part time. I cloth diaper both of my boys, using hand knit, by me, wool covers and prefolds. I try and make a lot of our food from scratch and hopelessly fail at keeping house, but I try.

Monday, July 26, 2010

A Bump In The Night

Isn't it funny how, as a parent, you can go from out cold asleep to sitting on the floor in the next room rocking a toddler who fell out of bed before you actually wake up? This is what happened last night, one of the reasons I'm running on empty today ;). After a long night of trying to sleep so I could rid my head of the massive swelling migraine I heard a bump in the night. As if Dizzy may have fallen out of the top bunk I fly to his room so fast that I don't really recall doing it. I just know I"m on the floor rocking him and checking his head. I don't normally react this way to him falling down or even out of bed. But when you have kids it changes something inside you. Had I heard that bump a few years ago I would have listened hard for a few minutes and gone back to sleep, not even moving. Now I somehow go from bed to the next room in a flash because all I know is that Dizzy hit the floor.

Of course he was just fine, but that groggy-just-heard-a-bump-what-happened-to-my-baby feeling had prevented me from thinking. It took quite a while for him to get back to sleep, because Hubs either didn't hear me suggest leaving the bathroom light on, or chose not to. So I turned it back on for him and out he went. But what about me? I stayed awake the rest of the night. First off, Hubs turned the tv on so that he could go back to sleep, so I couldn't fall asleep and picked up my knitting instead. Then when he finally turned the tv off I turned out my light and closed my eyes. I laid there like that for two hours thinking of this and that and trying to go back to sleep. Breathing slowly and counting something (I can't remember what) didn't help. G woke and I fed him, though not for long. I don't think he needed to eat, he was just used to waking up at 3-4am and eating. Then I continued to 'sleep' with my eyes closed and my mind open until about 5 when I finally nodded back off. G slept in bed with us, because that guarantees he wont wake again for several hours. Between is 3am feeding and 8 or 9 he wakes 3-6 times to suckle and go back to sleep. but if he's in our bed he stays asleep, usually.

This is the second time that this Sleepy Sheep hasn't been able to sleep this week. I am a Sleepy Sheep for many reasons and you'll learn them all if you choose to keep reading my boring posts. One reason though is my bouts of insomnia. I"m not diagnosed with insomnia, but I'm sure I would be if I saw a doctor who gave a darn about it. The boys' new doctor is one of those, and if this is the beginning of one of those bouts, I shall be calling on him soon. Oh boy am I sleepy. I hope the darn kiddos sleep well for me tonight!

BTW: Dizzy, being two, is not in a bunk bed. He's in a toddler bed with bed rails like this. I share this because I think different rails would have prevented a fall, but I could be wrong. This is not the bed we have, just an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment