Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I have been married for 6 years now, stay at home with my two wonderful boys (2 1/2 and 5 mo). I also watch 5 other children in their home part time. I cloth diaper both of my boys, using hand knit, by me, wool covers and prefolds. I try and make a lot of our food from scratch and hopelessly fail at keeping house, but I try.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How to Wash your Woolies ;)

Well, I've been meaning to post this for awhile now, and thought this the perfect time since I've been asked to create a blog to link to Circle ME's official blog: mynaturalfamily!

First lets look at the reasons you need to wash your wool.
  1. It's brand new and needs lanolized
  2. There is visible biological matter on it (ok, we're all sensible people. . . that would be POOP!)
  3. They're dirty with plain old dirt!
  4. The completely dry woolie smells like urine.
  5. It's been a month or more since you last washed or it just needs to be relanolized.
Ok, so today I am assuming that you need to lanolize as well as wash your woolie, and that you have not gone out and bought the miracle wool wash from CJ's All Natural (available at Circle ME in Lincoln NE). So this means, what I"m showing you is the most complicated it ever has to get. Funny thing is that it's really quite simple!!

Step 1: Strip the wool from your adorable baby butt!! Then take a picture because they are just that cute!
Step 2: Turn on the water to boil (or just microwave it!) I do double duty with this and get the water for my french press done at the same time! Skip this step if using wool wash AND not lanolizing!
Step 3: Put soap and Lanolin in heat safe container I use Lansinoh Lanolin and a natural fiber wash found in a local yarn store. Baby shampoo works wonderful! Notice the amount of Lanolin I"m using. It's a lot. That's how much I use to lanolize a woolie for the first time ever. You can use less for future lanolizing of the same woolie. If you're just washing without a lanolin rich wool wash or bar, then please use a pea sized amount. Skip this step if you're using a wool wash!! If you're lanolizing, you should still do this, but you can use less lanolin and wool wash if you'd like.
Step 4: Mix in hot water until milky white.
Step 5: Fill a clean sink or basin with water that is LUKEWARM or ROOM TEMP. It should not be hot or cold!!Step 6: Add wool wash or solution to water and mix

Step 7: Pull woolie inside out, place in water crotch first (so you get the most lanolin where it's needed!) then gently squeeze a few times to help it absorb as much water as possible. Let it soak for 1/2 an hour minimum. If the woolie needs to be lanolized as well as washed soak it overnight!! If there are any stains, gentle scrubbing works wonders here!
Step 8: Drain water. VERY gently squeeze extra water out.
Step 9: To speed up the drying process, roll each woolie in a dry prefold (or a towel) and press gently. Repeat with a dry prefold/towel. Once the woolie is mostly dry you have a few different options. 1) Lay flat (do not hang!!) to dry in a well ventilated area ~I do this by laying it over a bucket in front of the cool air vent or 2) before laying flat to dry, place woolies in the washing machine and use the spin cycle. I do this twice before laying flat to dry!You can also do this to your favorite hand wash wool socks for the most awesome moisturizing treatment ever. . . in fact, I think I"m going to make myself some socks and gloves to do this with!! For spot treatments between washings try Eucalan wipes. For boosting your lanolin between washings try a wool revitalizing spray, like the one CJ's All Natural makes!

4 comments:

  1. Great blog! All the pics were really helpful. I was wondering if I could use my lansinoh and save money; now I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal Lois, is to help parents who are choosing cloth strictly to save money (as I started out doing ~ just love that it's healthier and more natural!)

    Use up that lansinoh by all means ;) It also works wonders on dry skin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not kidding about working wonders on dry skin. The hand that I used to put the soaker (thanks by the way!) in to the sink was so soft after I took it out. Didn't realized it worked so quickly. I am thinking of soaking my hands in it reguarly. Love how the one feels right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try soaking your feet in it! Lanolin is God's gift to moms:)

    ReplyDelete