Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I have been married for 6 years now, stay at home with my two wonderful boys (2 1/2 and 5 mo). I also watch 5 other children in their home part time. I cloth diaper both of my boys, using hand knit, by me, wool covers and prefolds. I try and make a lot of our food from scratch and hopelessly fail at keeping house, but I try.

Monday, October 25, 2010

The Pros and Woes of Cloth Diapers 1

I decided to start posting a little more frequently so to rev up my engine I'm posting on the pros and woes of using cloth diapers all week. Each day I"ll choose either a Pro or a Woe to rant on, trying to alternate them, but finding the woes for me is a bit hard. . . since I love a bubbly cd'd (cd= cloth diaper) butt!

Pro Number One

It's easy to save money. For your most cost efficient cloth diapering experience you can get started for less than $100 and be set for your entire diapering experience. Is this how I did it? No, it takes more time than I have and the desire to sew. . . a lot ;) You buy, or even collect from friends 100% cotton t-shirts and 100% feltable wool sweaters (as in labeled HAND WASH ONLY). If you're buying, only stick to the cheapest you can find at the thrift, I wouldn't pay more than $1 per shirt/sweater and if the sweater is prefelted that's even better, it just saved you a load of wash! Go here to learn how to make your own cloth diapers from your t-shirts and here to learn how to turn that unwanted wool into fabulous covers!!! You can also purchase inexpensive PUL covers to use instead of wool. I suggest Thirsties Duo sized covers. They come in two sizes and fit my boys at birth (both were 8 lbs 3oz on the dot) and Dizzy, being almost 25 lbs with a crazy long rise fits great in the size 2. For the average kid and situation you'll need about 25-36 prefolds or cloth diapers. If you're using covers instead of (all in one style) AIO's or Pockets then you'll need about 4-6 of those, but can get away with less.

You'll still save some money if you choose inexpensive pockets, AIO's or fitteds. Here is a good description of the different styles of cloth diapers. However I used prefolds and Thirsties, then purchased new and used fitteds with extra money. You can also get gently used diapers to save money too. In Lincoln NE Circle Me has a consignment day at least once a year. In Elkhorn NE Top To Bottom Baby Boutique does too. I only use PUL covers at bedtime and hand knit (by me of course!) woolies during the day.

If you're thinking that you'll be spending more money washing them. .. think again!! The normal wash cycle suggested for using cloth is a cold rinse (many dunk/swish their dipes in the toilet before putting them in the pail. . . I don't, waste of time) to get rid of the uckies. Then do a hot wash with diaper safe detergent. I use Rockin' Green and love it, I"ve also had good luck with Allen's and my BFF loves Country Save. Follow your hot wash with two cold rinses. On my machine that's older than dirt the wash cycle is followed by a rinse already, so I only add one more rinse. How much extra water was that? Um, 2 rinses. I usually throw in our towels if the washer isn't full enough. Then put them in the dryer. I don't buy ANYTHING that can't be dried on high heat. Air dry your PUL if you wish, but I don't. I actually have to do two runs through the dryer or one dryer and then hang on the line after that. You can sun dry them completely and not use the dryer at all. I do about 3 loads of diapers a week. NOT A LOT!!! See here on using and caring for wool. . . I'd go into it, but it would just be a repeat of all this wonderful information.

Ok, so you'll need to consider other necessary items when cd-ing. Wipes? Gerber washcloths work great, and are really inexpensive. Water works perfectly or you can google wipes recipes or even buy premade solutions or cubes to dissolve in water. Water is cheaper, duh, and I add a drop of olive oil since it's so good for the skin. Where to put the dirty diapers? I use a plastic pail with a swinging lid, I got it at goodwill for less than $5. Wet bags (PUL lined bag usually with a zip top) are great for out and about, and since they zip close there's less chance of smells, but w/ good cleaning I don't really notice any anyway. I also just use grocery sacks or zip top bags in a pinch w/ no problems. Pins or snappies are cheap. I like either one just fine, but hubs loves the snappy! diaper creams. . . get a cloth diaper approved cream, it's a must and doesn't cost any more than name brands that have all kinds of unpronounceable things in them.

All in all cloth diapering is inexpensive. . . unless you're buying the trendy more expensive brands which really aren't that much better than than the cheapo stuff ;)

A word on the cost of sposies: using Target brand (my preferred choice) I can spend about $15 a week if I change every two hours except at naps and bedtime. That's $60 a month or $720 a year. For three years that's $2160. That's based on the size 2 diaper, 42 diapers in a pack for $7. Then there are wipes, garbage bags, fancy pail systems (waste of money even if you do use 'sposies, just toss the stinky ones outside, DUH!) and what if your kiddo is allergic. . . it happens, then you need to try other styles/brands etc. What if you want all natural, chemical free, organic or whatever. . . more $$$ Now, it's easy to get your cd stash up to that price if you're not careful, but ask for a cloth diaper baby shower, if your friends and family are at least supportive (the more informed they are the more likely they will be) you'll get a lot from that. The average stash of AIO's and Pocket's is around $300-$500 depending on brands, sales and so on.

You can do this, because ANYONE can do this. . . proof? I did it, I'm sticking with it. . . and I really can't stick to anything!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment