Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I have been married for 6 years now, stay at home with my two wonderful boys (2 1/2 and 5 mo). I also watch 5 other children in their home part time. I cloth diaper both of my boys, using hand knit, by me, wool covers and prefolds. I try and make a lot of our food from scratch and hopelessly fail at keeping house, but I try.

Friday, October 8, 2010

My first class!!!!

Yes! I'm teaching a Knitting Class tomorrow for Create for a Cause at our church! At the same time I can't wait, but I"m also super nervous. I've never taught a class before, and I've got my own way of knitting, nothing special, just not the 'proper' form. A knitting snob might tell me I'm doing it wrong and would definitely chide me for teaching ;) But it's too late, I signed on to teach, so here I go!

We are knitting for Haiti (Create for a Cause is based on meeting needs) and we will be making personal care kits as specified by Global Knits. So the 12X18" hand towel is what we'll be making tomorrow and I thought that would be simple enough to do with out a pattern for a beginning project. We'll just CO 12" then do the Stockinette stitch for 3" add an eyelet row, knit for a total of 15" add an eyelet row, then knit the last 3" and call it done. This teaches the CO, Knit and Purl stitches, the eyelet stitch and BO. That should be easy enough right? I hope so. It'll be an easy enough place for starters ;) Then the following month we'll move on to the face cloth, which will be slightly more complicated. It's a garter stitched cloth, made in the diagonal, with an eyelet border as well as some short rows for pointy corners. I'll be using Knittycat's dishcloth pattern. This will teach knitting on the diagonal (think increase and decrease), reinforce the eyelet concept and add in short rows. Now the student can knit anything flat, and it would only take a few more steps to learning in the round!! Wish me luck, and if you are in the area, ask for directions to the church! Starts at 10am. Before I forget, to meet global knits requirements we have to adjust KnittyCat's cloth to make it 10X10. I am kinda worried about that, but I guess as long as it's the right size and shape we're good!

No comments:

Post a Comment